With an incredible 21-month 0% intro APR offer on qualifying balance transfers, no late fees, no annual fee, and no penalty rate, the Citi Simplicity® Card is an unmatched pick.
Our expert’s summary:
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 21 months. This means you’ll pay no interest until nearly 2025!
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months
- No penalty APR. Your APR won’t increase if you slip up and are late on a payment!
- Choose your payment due date
- No late fees & $0 annual fee
Simply put, if you’re looking to avoid credit card interest on balance transfers for the longest time possible, it’s hard to beat this card.
Rating image, 4.50 out of 5 stars.
Good/Excellent (670-850) Falling within this credit range does not guarantee approval by the issuer. An application must be submitted to the issuer for a potential approval decision. There are different types of credit scores and creditors use a variety of credit scores to make lending decisions.
Best for Balance Transfers
0% intro APR for 21 months on balance transfers is one of the longest interest-free periods available today.
Purchases: 0%, 12 months
Balance Transfers: 0%, 21 months
18.49% – 29.24% (Variable)
- No Late Fees, No Penalty Rate, and No Annual Fee… Ever
- 0% Intro APR for 21 months on balance transfers from date of first transfer and 0% Intro APR for 12 months on purchases from date of account opening. After that the variable APR will be 18.49% – 29.24%, based on your creditworthiness. Balance transfers must be completed within 4 months of account opening.
- There is an introductory balance transfer fee of $5 or 3% of the amount of the transfer, whichever is greater, for balance transfers completed within 4 months of account opening.
- Stay protected with Citi® Quick Lock.
What We Like About Citi® Simplicity® Card
0% introductory APR for 21 months on balance transfers: One of the longest introductory periods on balance transfers we’ve come across, you’ll get a 0% intro APR on the balance transferred for a full 21 months, which means you’ll have almost two years to pay off your balance.
0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases: You’ll also get a 0% intro APR on new purchases for the first 12 months. This is a helpful perk if you plan on buying anything with the card.
Choose your payment due date: A little flexibility can go a long way when it comes to managing your finances. The card lets you choose from any available payment date, whether it’s in the beginning, middle, or end of the month. That way, you can set up automatic payments that are aligned with your paycheck.
No late fees: One of the most unique perks is that there are no late fees, ever. While you should always pay your bill on time, because late payments can still affect your credit, it’s nice to know that you won’t be charged if you do slip up and miss a payment.
No penalty APR: If you miss some payments, most credit cards will increase your interest rate to their penalty APR. Citi® Simplicity® Card never charges a penalty rate, so your APR isn’t at risk of increasing due to late payments.
No annual fee: This card comes with no annual fee, which is an important feature if your goal is to pay off debt.
Suggested credit score
With the quality benefits the card offers, it’s primarily aimed at consumers who have a credit score of 670 or better. There are reports of people with scores in the mid 600s being approved for this card. For tips on increasing your credit score above 670, click here.
Increase your credit score in as little as one month?
Paying down credit balances is the fastest way to improve your FICO® Score. That’s because 30% of your credit score is based on how much of your available credit you’re using. Your credit utilization is reported monthly, which means paying off debt could improve your credit score in one month!
If your priority is a long 0% intro APR for a balance transfer, the Citi® Simplicity® Card clearly outshines the competition. We haven’t found a card that offers a longer period to pay intro 0% interest on balance transfers with the added benefits of no late fees, flexible payment date, and no penalty APR Citi® Simplicity® offers. The 12 month 0% intro APR on purchases is also helpful if you have an unexpected large expense and need to spread the cost out over time.
There’s a right way to swipe
Credit cards with rewards & 0% intro APR offers are excellent, but remember, they are a tool to help you get the most out of your spending. The Ascent motto to follow:
- Pay off your card in full each month.
- Choose a card whose features are a good fit for you.
- Don’t spend more than you already would.
Follow this and you’ll be making your money work overtime for you. Live richly, not risky.