- Bonus cash back
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR offer
- FICO® Score for free
5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate. 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases – automatically
Purchases: 0%, 14 months
Balance Transfers: 0%, 14 months
11.99% – 22.99% Variable APR
Dollar-for-dollar match of all cash back earned the first year
- INTRO OFFER: Unlimited Cashback Match – only from Discover. Discover will automatically match all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year! There’s no minimum spending or maximum rewards. You could turn $150 cash back into $300.
- Earn 5% cash back on everyday purchases at different places each quarter like Amazon.com, grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations and when you pay using PayPal, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate.
- Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases – automatically.
- Redeem cash back in any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.
- #1 Most Trusted Credit Card according to Investor’s Business Daily.
- No annual fee.
- Discover is accepted nationwide by 99% of the places that take credit cards.
Why we rate this as a top cash back card
5% bonus cash back — Discover it® Cash Back pays 1% cash-back on regular purchases, and 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum ($1,500 of spending) each time you activate.
Cash back match in the first year — Discover will match all the cash back earned during the first year for new cardholders, making it the highest cash back rate we’ve come across, and the number one pick for a one-card wallet during it’s first year. Cardholders who max out bonus categories quarterly can expect a total of $600 cash back in the first year. For the number crunchers out there, that’s $1,500 of quarterly spending in bonus categories ($6,000 per year), which earns cash back at a 5% rate. Add Discover’s match on top, and you’ll receive $300, plus another $300 for the match in your first year — that works out to 10% cash back.
$0 annual fee — Credit cards packed with valuable features tend to charge high fees or APRs. Discover it® Cash Back balances this relationship well and doesn’t charge an annual fee, making it a great fit for cardholders with modest credit spending needs, who won’t see their rewards get wiped out by an annual fee.
0% intro APR for purchases — The card includes a 0% intro APR for 14 months for purchases, after which the go-to variable rate applies.
0% intro APR for balance transfers — The same length 0% intro APR applies for balance transfers, as does the go-to variable rate. Note, the promo period extends for 14 months from the first transfer, not from account opening, as is common for balance-transfer credit cards. Cardholders must execute the transfer by a specific date to qualify, but starting the clock from the date of the first transfer does increase the versatility of this card.
No foreign transaction fees — Foreign transaction fees can quickly add up when whipping out credit cards for purchases abroad. Fortunately, the card has nixed the typical 3% foreign transaction fee many card issuers charge.